11/23/08

A day of baking

Last Saturday I fell victim to a real life chain letter type thing. A friend gave me a bag with "Friendship bread" inside so I said thank you and took it without looking inside. Imagine my surprise when I opened it later and I found not only the bread but also instructions with a starter bag to continue the insanity. Of course I called her to share my thanks for such a lovely thing (please note the extreme sarcasm). The bread was yummy so I was ready to embark on my mission of friendship.
For 10 flipping DAYS I had to do something with the bag...oh, day 1 was simple because it said to do nothing but every other day I had to "mash the bag". Day 5 I had to add some ingredients to it. Fun, fun. Then mash the bag days 6-9.
Today was day 10. I added ingredients, mixed it up and separated out 4 starter bags for the next unsuspecting victims! Then, with the remaining batter I added a bunch of stuff, mixed it up and baked up 3 loaves. Below is a picture of what friendship looks like LOL!!


Then I continued baking and made my 1st ever Sweet Potato Pie(s)! My mother in-law usually makes them and uses a family recipe but since we live so far away my husband usually whips up a few around the holidays. Well, he's been dying to pass the duty on to me. So, today I took on the challenge because our dear neighbor was longing for the pies with Thanksgiving approaching....her Mom used to make them for the holidays but she passed a few years back. I couldn't help myself so I told her I'd make them for her! I think they look good...who knows because I don't eat them! Julian said it was great and even Jula ate some!


I think I'm warmed up for the holidays now!!! I am a baking machine once December hits!

1 comment:

Amber said...

Ha - Will came home with a bag of that stuff the other day. You are better than me... mine went in the trash ;)